Download PDF of Job Description Here
Disability Rights Center – New Hampshire (DRC-NH) promotes the civil rights of people with disabilities in New Hampshire. In the past 40 years, DRC-NH has litigated landmark cases in federal and state courts regarding special education, employment discrimination, access to housing and Medicaid services. Recently, DRC-NH’s litigation led to a historic investment in mental health services for people at risk of hospitalization, improved accessibility of downtown Concord, and access to services for people with brain injuries.
DRC-NH is an independent non-profit organization, federally designated as New Hampshire’s protection and advocacy system (“P&A”) dedicated to advancing the civil and human rights of all individuals with disabilities. It is our mission to advocate, educate, investigate and pursue legal, administrative, and other appropriate remedies to ensure individuals with disabilities participate equally and fully in all aspects of community life in New Hampshire
DRC-NH is seeking a full-time staff attorney to join our team in the fight to protect and expand the rights of people with disabilities across the state. This is primarily a litigation position involving representation of people with disabilities in individual and systemic matters involving disability-related civil rights issues in administrative proceedings, state and federal courts. Responsibilities may also include participation in task forces, coalitions or other committees that benefit people with disabilities, and responding to media requests on behalf of DRC-NH, as assigned, on matters impacting people with disabilities.
- At least three years of experience in civil and/or criminal litigation. Knowledge of disability law is helpful, but not necessary.
- Commitment to enforcing and expanding the rights of people with disabilities across New Hampshire through individual and systemic litigation.
- Excellent communication, organization and writing skills, pro-active problem-solving skills, and good judgment.
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Active membership in the New Hampshire State Bar and the Bar of the United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire or an ability to promptly gain admission to both.
The anticipated salary for this position depends on prior law-related work experience. In addition, DRC-NH is offering a sign on bonus to the chosen candidate. DRC-NH offers a robust benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, generous paid time off, law school loan repayment assistance, and a flexible schedule, with the ability to work remotely, when consistent with office responsibilities and no more than 3 days per week.
If you are interested in joining our team, please provide the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter or email expressing your interest in the position and any accommodations needed for the interview process.
- Writing sample/brief (not to exceed 30 pages)
We will begin considering applications immediately. The position will remain open until the right candidate is found.