Know Your Voting Rights

You have the right to vote privately and independently. You have the right to an accessible polling location and accessible voting system. You have the right to get help with voting from a person of your choice.

Download Our Know Your Rights Flyer

Descargar folleto En Español

Register to vote

Close up of hand as person pins an 'I Voted' button on to their jean jacket.

To register, you will need to complete a Voter Registration Form, show appropriate identification, and proof of domicile. If you do not have  documents proving that you have domicile in the town or city, you may be asked to fill out an affidavit swearing that you live there. You can register:


  • At your town or city Clerk’s Office at least 10 days before Election Day.
  • At your polling place on Election Day (‘same day registration’).

By mail

  • If you have a physical disability that prevents you from registering in person, ask your city or town clerk for an absentee voter registration.
  • Make sure to return your registration form at least 10 days before the election.

Voter identification requirements

You are required to show identification (also called an “ID”) as proof of your identity, age, and citizenship. Appropriate forms of identification include:

  • A driver’s license issued by any state
  • A non-driver ID card issued by any state
  • An armed services ID card
  • A photo ID card for “voting identification only” issued by NH DMV
  • A passport or passport card
  • A NH student ID card

Physical Accessibility

Close up of handler holding their service dog by its red vest in one hand and a white cane with a red stripe in the other. All polling locations must be physically accessible.

A polling place is physically accessible if you have an accessible place to park, can move from the parking place to a well-marked accessible entrance, and can travel from the accessible entrance to the voting booth without barriers.

The polling place must contain at least one accessible voting booth and one tabletop voting screen. Your service animal is allowed to enter the polling place and accompany you while you vote.

If you are unable to access your polling place due to your physical disability, an absentee ballot can be brought to you in your car or other accessible location outside of the polling location.

Accessible Voting

Every polling location has an accessible voting system (called the “one4all”) available for state-wide elections. The one4all includes a tablet, keyboard, and printer. For additional information see:One4all accessible voting system with tablet and yellow keyboard on a table.

Assistance at the polls

You may have a person of your choice help you complete your ballot as long as they are not your employer or union official. Although you do have to tell the moderator that you need assistance completing your ballot, you do not need to tell them why you need help. The person you chose to help you must swear to the moderator that they will mark the ballot as you direct and keep your choices confidential.

Marking the ballot

If you make a mistake on your ballot or your one4all ballot prints incorrectly, you may return it to the moderator and request a new one. If you make a mistake on a second ballot, you may request a third and final ballot. However, if you make a mistake on the third ballot, you will not be permitted an additional ballot and must decide whether to cast it with the mistake.


Download Our Know Your Rights Flyer (PDF, 289 KB)

First page of Voting Rights flyer

Additional Resources

Still Have Questions About Voting?

Call Us. We Can Help.

If you have questions about voting in NH or think your voting rights have been violated because of your disability you can contact us to speak with an attorney free  0f charge.

Contact Us


Disability Rights Center – New Hampshire is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating barriers for people with disabilities across New Hampshire. DRC is the federally designated protection and advocacy agency for New Hampshire and has authority under federal law to conduct investigations in cases of probable abuse or neglect.

News Updates