Disability Rights Center – NH is working toward ending inadequate treatment and discrimination of individuals with disabilities in the adult corrections system. We represent a limited number of inmates who have specific questions related to their disability, such as access to assistive devices or for treatment for Hepatitis C. The DRC does not take cases relating to general medical care, or provider or treatment choice.
Youth with Mental Illness and the Juvenile Justice System, an article in the Spring 2013 issue of the RAP Sheet, by Michael Skibbie, DRC Policy Director
Sununu Youth Services Center investigations
What probation officers need to know about learning disabilities, from the Pacer Center
The Council of State Governments Justice Center: Youth
- The School Discipline Consensus Report: Strategies from the Field to Keep Students Engaged in School and Out of the Juvenile Justice System
- Children With Disabilities in the Juvenile Justice system: A report by Justiceworks at the University of New Hampshire
The National Center on Education, Disability and Juvenile Justice
The National Center for Mental Health and Juvenile Justice
National Juvenile Defender Center
Are Zero Tolerance Policies Effective in the Schools? A report by the American Psychological Foundation
National Evaluation and Technical Assistance Center for the Education of Children and Youth who are Neglected, Delinquent, or At-risk
The Juvenile Justice Resource Hub
- Rooted in Rights – News about Criminal Justice and Disability
- The Marshall Project: 2017: Federal Watchdog Finds Mentally Ill Are Stuck in Solitary
- What Prisoners Need to Know About Social Security, from the Social Security Administration
- Human Rights Watch Report: Ill-Equipped: U.S. Prisons and Offenders with Mental Illness, September 2003
- National Legal Aid and Defender Association
- The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law has a section on criminal justice.
- Juvenile Justice Issues
- Probono.net has a section on prisoner rights: Information for lawyers who are providing legal assistance to prisoners with respect to the conditions of their confinement or their treatment by prison personnel
- American Civil Liberties Union: Disability Rights – Criminal Justice
- The Criminal Justice/Mental Health Consensus Project
The DRC does not handle criminal cases.
Other Places to Go For Legal Help:
New Hampshire Bar Association has a lawyer referral program.
New Hampshire Public Defender
NH Department of Justice Victim Resources