Protection and Advocacy for Assistive Technology (PAAT) Program
Advocate for voters who are blind or with print disabilities to vote privately and independently by absentee ballot
Provide counseling and advice to people with disabilities regarding assistive technology
Provide limited or full representation to people with disabilities regarding assistive technology legal issues. Below are examples of the types of cases DRC-NH will consider:
- Access to Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) services
- Access to ramps to improve accessibility
- Access to assistive technology for people with disabilities in prisons and jails
- Access to assistive technology in schools
- Access to assistive technology in employment
- Access to assistive augmentative communication devices and software (AAC)
In accepting cases for limited or full representation, DRC-NH will consider the following:
- Does the case have legal merit?
- Do we have the capacity, funding and expertise to provide quality representation?
- Does the case fit within our priorities?
- What is the likelihood that our advocacy would make a positive difference to people with disabilities?
- Would our advocacy result in services being provided in a more integrated setting?
Learn more about our case criteria and exclusions
Other Systemic Advocacy
DRC-NH will monitor these issues and advocate for systemic improvements as resources allow.
- Access to Medicaid funded assistive technology
- Access to assistive technology in nursing homes
- Access to accessible voting technology in local elections
- Rules that exceed federal minimums
- VR – Order of Selection
Communicate to people with disabilities, family members and others regarding their rights to access assistive technology
- Conduct outreach and training as limited resources allow. Priority will be given to outreach and training:
- Communicate via DRC-NH e-news, social media and website
- Communicate via the media
- Publish Disability RAPP
- Develop and distribute brochures and written materials. Priority will be given to the development of written materials in areas where we are not providing representation.
Ensure DRC-NH collaborates with other groups and organizations on assistive technology issues impacting people via committee work
- Access to Justice
- ABLE NH