The Disability Rights Center – New Hampshire (DRC-NH) seeks a legal assistant/paralegal to join DRC-NH in protecting and promoting the civil rights of people with disabilities.
DRC-NH is part of a national network of public interest firms dedicated to advancing the civil and human rights of all people with disabilities in the community and in institutional settings. The scope of our work is wide ranging, impacting people with disabilities, including developmental and physical disabilities, mental illness, and traumatic brain injuries. Through litigation, counseling, policy advocacy and public education, we address matters related to treatment and services, accessibility and reasonable accommodation, assistive technology, employment, housing, education, and voting.
Over the last 40 years, DRC-NH has litigated landmark cases regarding special education, employment discrimination, access to housing and Medicaid services. And, more recently, our litigation has led to a historic investment in mental health services for people at risk of hospitalization, improved accessibility of downtown Concord, and made voting more accessible for people with disabilities. As the federally designated protection and advocacy system for New Hampshire, we also monitor institutions and service providers and conduct investigations to ensure people with disabilities are not at risk of neglect or abuse.
The legal assistant/paralegal will be responsible for assisting a team of DRC-NH attorneys managing active litigation. Duties will include:
- Preparing court filings.
- Organizing case files.
- Managing records, projects and calendars to make sure everything functions smoothly.
- Transcribing and proofreading legal documents.
- Indexing and updating pleadings and discovery binders.
- Collecting and delivering documents.
- Managing diaries and making travel arrangements for assigned lawyers.
- Assisting with electronic data management and data entry.
- Supporting legal research.
- Communicating with clients, vendors, experts, lawyers, opposing counsel and other staff.
- Serving as a backup for DRC-NH’s other administrative support when requested.
- Recording and tracking time in accordance with DRC-NH’s policies and procedures.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Litigation experience is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Well organized.
- Ability to work independently and follow through.
- Sensitivity to other people, including people with disabilities.
- Willingness to occasionally work after scheduled hours.
This is a full time, non-exempt position with a robust benefits package. Salary range of $17.00 – $30.00/hour.
If you are interested in joining our team, please provide the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter expressing your interest in the position
We will begin considering applications immediately. The position will remain open until the right candidate is found.
Download PDF of this job description
DRC-NH is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse staff that reflects all individuals and communities we work for and alongside, and we value equity and inclusion in our workplace. DRC-NH encourages applications from people with disabilities, Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, people of diverse national origin, the LGBTQ community, and other people belonging to communities that have historically experienced injustice.